The facts are clear – Russia attempted and succeeded in meddling in the 2016 elections. This is unacceptable and threatens the foundation of our Democracy. That’s why Bill voted for the Securing America’s Federal Elections (SAFE) Act, which would require verified paper ballots to be used in election systems to prevent hacking by a foreign government. Bill has also supported efforts that would require any campaign to report contacts with foreign agents attempting to interfere in elections to the FBI. Unfortunately, the Republican led Senate has repeatedly refused to act on these bills, leaving our election system at risk.
This should not be a partisan issue. Americans must have complete faith in the accuracy of our elections, and Bill will continue fighting to get measures passed to protect our election systems.
The right to vote is the underpinning of American Democracy. As the son of a civil rights lawyer, Bill is committed to making sure all Americans have equal access to the ballot box. Bill proudly supported the Voting Rights Advancement Act of 2019 and will continue supporting legislation that makes it easier for Americans to vote.
Campaign Finance Reform and Ethics Laws
The influence of big money and the rise of SuperPACs has had a disastrous effect on our political system. Within hours of being sworn in for the first time, Bill cast the deciding vote in favor of the strongest Congressional Ethics Reform legislation in decades. Bill is supportive of a constitutional amendment to overturn the Citizens United Supreme Court decision and supports legislative efforts to increase disclosure of donors to SuperPACs and other dark money groups while also attempting to limit their influence. Bill proudly voted for HR 1, the For the People Act.
HR 1 would:
- Allow Campaigns to be financed by small dollar donations and public matching funds
- Make SuperPACs and Dark Money groups to disclose their donors
- Make social media companies disclose the source and amount of money spent for political advertisements
- Make candidates for President and Vice President disclose 10 years of their tax returns
- Require disclosure of all political spending by government contractors
- Bill is supportive of all of these efforts, along with the numerous other areas the For the People Act would impact.